Tostan, a US 501(c)(3) organization founded in Senegal in 1991, is an international nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in six African countries. Our vision is human dignity for all. Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: “communities first,” learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, and respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa. For more information, please visit: www.tostan.org
Reporting to the Senior Grants Manager, the Project Manager (PM) will oversee the planning and monitoring and reporting of major projects, ensuring that these projects are on track, deadlines are met, and regular updates are submitted to key internal and external stakeholders. The project manager will also actively participate in fundraising efforts and lead project planning processes as part of Tostan’s growth efforts. We are a team of young and dynamic professionals and we are looking for an efficient and solution-oriented colleague who has experience communicating with donors in both French and English.
Duration of the contract: 2 years
Roles & Responsibilities
- Coordination between national offices and international headquarters
- Regular communication with national offices
- Activity and financial planning in collaboration with national offices
- Track project budgeting, work plans and reporting and ensure that any deviation is proactively identified and follow up with appropriate corrective actions
- Overall responsibility for writing/editing project reports and assurance that the deadlines are met
- Review and feedback on internal narrative and financial reports
- Continuously evaluate the quality of interventions and support improvements as necessary
- In collaboration with colleagues, identify areas for capacity building in national offices and provide training and/or coaching to ensure that project implementation is of the highest quality
- Ensure that relevant field staff are informed and comply with the funder requirements
- Ensure that National Coordinators and field staff are provided with the information and support they require in order to manage the project efficiently
- Conduct regular visits to field offices and project sites
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
Master’s degree preferred
Knowledge & Experience
At least 3-5 years of project management and report writing experience in a non-profit or development field
At least 3 years managing budgets
Fluent in both English and French
Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented, you are an asset to the team and are depended upon to track and communicate all project deadlines and to manage the delivery of accurate, high-quality reports
Ability to build strong working relationships, both in-person and virtually
A team player, you are comfortable working under pressure and in a multicultural environment
Believe strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This position is located in Dakar, Senegal, at Tostan’s international headquarters.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading: “Project Manager Application” by August 22, 2016.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.