Tostan is a US 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in Senegal in 1991 in order to educate and empower Africans who have had little or no access to formal schooling. Tostan’s community-led program, the Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has achieved results including: declared abandonment of the practices of female genital cutting and child/forced marriage by thousands of villages; increased enrollment in formal education for children; increased use of problem solving and literacy skills to generate income and further develop local economies; and increased access to healthcare.
The function of the Tostan International Communications department is both service-orientated and consultative. We are responsible for promoting and raising awareness of Tostan’s work internationally and supporting the work of the eight countries in which Tostan implements our program. Our functions include PR and External Relations, Design and Media, Communications Services and Support to all Tostan staff and Board, and communications research and M&E. The Headquarters of Tostan International are in Dakar, Senegal and the communications team is run from there, with a small presence in DC. This role is based in the Dakar office.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Translator will be based in the Tostan International Communications Team and will be responsible primarily for assisting Tostan with translation needs across departments.
- Translate documents and texts including: website content, press releases, stories, newsletters and fact sheets
- Act as translator when assisting high profile donors and visitors to Tostan’s program in Senegal.
- Work with staff to produce publicity materials (in French and English), such as PowerPoint presentations, brochures, films (if qualified)
- Translate reports and proposals for the wider organization as needed.
Key Qualifications & Selection Criteria
Relevant undergraduate degree
Excellent written and spoken proficiency in both English and French (writing samples in both languages required) essential; proficiency in Wolof and/or Pulaar or other African languages desired
Knowledge & Experience
- Fluent in Standard French (or French native speaker)
- Fluent in English
- Minimum five years previous experience with either a nongovernmental or nonprofit organization in a similar role
- Experience working in Africa/ developing country
- Experience translating documents from English to French and from French to English for a variety of audiences; translation certification strongly preferred
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Gmail, Google Groups, Google Documents, Google Calendars, and other internet programs preferred
- Ability to be patient and diplomatic, and to establish mutual respect among Tostan staff, project partners, and local community members
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability work under pressure and meet multiple quick deadlines
- Flexible to adapt to a multicultural environment, to work in varied conditions, to be considerate of limited resources, and to adapt work priorities to the immediate needs of the project or donor
How to Apply
Send your CV and Cover Letter via email to email@example.com. Please put ‘Translator’ as the email subject. Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Deadline to Apply: 12 June 2013
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.